2 Peter 2:
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber. (NKJV)
Not all churches are Bible-based. Some doctrines adopted and practiced by some Christian denominations contradict the clear teachings of the Bible. Apostle Paul said: ‘Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity”’ (1 Tim 2:19).
Doctrinal errors, harmful beliefs and practices lead to terrible infraction of God’s laws. The real tragedy is that many in church cannot discern what the Bible teaches and what goes on in their local assemblies.
The distinction between Christian cults and the occult must be understood. Occultism is Satan worship. A cult on the other hand is a religious organization that has traces of Biblical truth but practices what Apostle Paul calls “another gospel.”
Cults do not teach and adhere strictly to the full gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. To determine whether a religious place is part of the church of Jesus Christ or a Christian cult, it is needful to get an a bible-based answer to the following questions.
- Who do they say God the Father is?
- Who do they say God the Son is?
- Who do they say God the Holy Spirit is?
- Do they believe in the inerrancy and infallibility of the Bible?
- Do they believe in the total depravity of man and the need for redemption?
- How does one become saved in their evangelistic thrust?
- What is their stand on the basic principles of the Doctrine of Christ (Heb 6:1-2), which includes Repentance, Faith, Baptism of the Holy Spirit, Impartation, Holy Communion, Baptism by Immersion, Resurrection from the dead and Eternal Judgment
What your church believes and teaches may be detrimental to your spiritual state in this life and eternal destination in the hereafter. Some are so subtle that you need the spiritual gift of discernment to identify them.