SELF-JUDGMENT THROUGH HOLY COMMUNION
The sacrament of Holy Communion was instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ the last night before His death. “… and he (Jesus) said unto them, with desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer” Lk 22:15. Jesus instituted it to be observed by the militant church until the end of this Age. It is an offering of great significance in seven ways:
Purpose of the Sacrament
- As a remembrance offering. It is important in the humdrum activities of daily life to remember Christ’s death and its purpose till He comes. ‘Till He comes’ acknowledges the fact of His resurrection from the dead, ascension and session at the right hand of God in heaven.
- As a memorial offering. It is a re-enactment of the breaking of His body and shedding of His blood.
- As a testimonial offering. It is a demonstration of an inward work of the Holy Ghost in the similitude of water baptism; an outward witness of an inward reality, bringing to the fore the need to eat the flesh of Jesus and drink His blood spiritually.
- As a confirmatory offering. It is a confirmation of the fulfilment of Old Testament promise to make a new covenant with the blood. The New Testament church is entered into only by the blood of Jesus. ‘And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel’ Heb 12:24.
- As proclamation of the Lord’s soon return. It is proclaiming that Jesus is indeed coming back to earth to judge the quick and the dead]’ also showing the Lord’s death till He comes. Proclaiming the Lord’s death means acceptance of the substitutionary death of Jesus, for He did not die for Himself.
- As a confessional offering. It is an announcement and notice to the kingdom of darkness to not touch the anointed of the Lord who bear His mark and do not want to partake of the table of the devil. Rev 12:11
- As a judgmental offering. If we judge ourselves, we shall not be judged. By judging ourselves we avoid being chastised by the Lord. It portrays expectation of the soon return of the Lord to judge the living and the dead.
A Double-edged Sword
Holy Communion is a double-edged sword. It must be taken worthily on regular basis. If you take it worthily you reap the benefits. If you take it unworthily you can die prematurely. How can it be taken worthily or unworthily?
1 Cor 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.
33 Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another. (NKJV)
SELF-JUDGMENT THROUGH HOLY COMMUNION
The ordinance of Holy Communion was instituted by the Lord Jesus Christ the last night before His death. “… and he (Jesus) said unto them, with desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer” (Lk 22:15).
Jesus instituted the sacrament of Holy Communion to be observed by the militant church until the end of this Age. For a genuine Christian Holy Communion is a double-edged sword. If you do not take it at all you are disobeying a direct commandment of the Lord Jesus Christ who said “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him” (Jn 6:53-57).
Failure to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus puts a question mark on one’s salvation and walk of faith. Taking Holy Communion unworthily makes one liable to fall sick or die physically before one’s time, although one may still qualify to be raptured other things being equal. “For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep” (1Cor 11:29-30).
Taking Holy Communion perfunctorily like once or twice a year amounts to half obedience. It should be taken often. The command of Scripture is “For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes” (1Cor 11:26). Half obedience is as the sin of witchcraft. “For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry” (1Sam 15:23). Proclaiming the Lord’s death by communing with the triune God should be a daily experience.
How often would you like to meet with the person you love – weekly, monthly, yearly or none at all? I endeavor to celebrate Holy Communion every day. The result is amazing. Jesus power is working wonders in my inward and outward personalities and that as a result inter alia of daily administration of Holy Communion at the Family Altar.
The Lord expects His followers to take Holy Communion worthily on regular basis to live the abundant life Christ died for on the Cross of Calvary. In Luke 18:8 Jesus asked His disciples a rhetoric question: “… when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?” Those who judge themselves on daily basis shall not be judged. Jesus said: “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.” (Jn 15:10)
Bear in mind always that “if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.”